- It IS rocket science. First, congrats to Elon Musk and SpaceX on landing a rocket. This is just bonkers. What a moment in human achievement. Watch the video that is included in the first link. Second, news out of NASA about the EM Drive. A suitable explanation is out of my intellectual grasp (and apparently a lot of physicist’s grasp as well), so just do yourself a favor and use the second two links to catch up.
- Read this essay on the state of affairs in U.S. prisons. I recommend considering the conclusions (abolish all prisons), though I think it goes too far. That said, it provides a terrifying chronicle of U.S. prisons in shocking detail and the thesis is provocatively argued.
- Via @, what Quartz has named the story of the year, but is really the chart and story of our lifetime. Global poverty, 1820-2015.
- And outstanding talk on failure, learning, and resiliency.
- 2015 will be remembered as a landmark year in raised awareness with respect to unnecessary police violence. This includes legally. See the officers charged in 2015.
- Cross-cultural communication, with a chart.